What is telemedicine, and how can it help you and your family? Read on to learn more.
In this article:
What Is Telemedicine? | Everything You Need to Know About Telehealth
What Is Telehealth (and Telemedicine)?
Telehealth is the delivery of health-related services and information through electronic information technologies. It can deliver preventative, promotive, and curative medical services.
It allows health professionals to provide the following services remotely:
- Provide a certain level of care
- Dispense medical advice
- Offer reminders
- Educate patients
- Provides certain medical interventions
- Monitor patient progress
- Facilitate hospital admissions
Telemedicine is sometimes used synonymously with telehealth, but it’s not the same thing. Telehealth refers to a broader category of services, and telemedicine falls under it.
What is telemedicine? Telemedicine focuses on clinical services doctors provide remotely. This usually involves patient diagnosis and monitoring.
So with telehealth and telemedicine, you can talk to a doctor and receive medical care from the comfort of your own home. Learn more about the importance of telehealth here.
Why Choose Telemedicine?
Telemedicine offers a lot of advantages for individuals who are seeking medical care. Here are some of the advantages:
- Saves time. You can squeeze in a call or online appointment easily.
- Eliminates the need to travel. You won’t need to go to a specific location to get medical attention.
- Saves money. You won’t need to take time off of work or pay for transportation.
- Access to different specialists. Doctors with a variety of specializations offer telemedicine services.
- Helps prevent the spread of infections. If you’re dealing with a viral illness, staying at home means you’re less likely to spread it to anyone else. At the same time, staying at home also reduces the risk of catching anything along the way.
Many people choose telemedicine because it allows them to get medical attention in a convenient and timely manner. Learn more about the pros and cons of telemedicine here.
Who Should Use Telemedicine Services?
Individuals who are not experiencing a medical emergency or don’t require an in-person medical exam can use telemedicine services. Here are a few examples of conditions that work well with telemedicine:
- Non-emergent asthma episodes
- Urinary tract infections
- Upper respiratory infections
- Mental health problems
If your medical condition cannot be fully treated via telemedicine, your doctor will inform you of this and recommend the next treatment steps. If you’re experiencing a medical emergency, it’s best to proceed to the nearest emergency room or call 911. Learn more about the benefits of telemedicine here.
When Is the Best Time to Use Telemedicine Services?
The best time to use telemedicine services is when you need non-emergent medical attention. Telemedicine offers more flexibility in scheduling so that you can set your telemedicine appointment at your convenience.
During the flu season or a pandemic, you don’t want to risk catching anything. So telemedicine is a great alternative. Learn more about the role of telemedicine in COVID-19 recovery here.
How Does Telemedicine Work?
Most telemedicine services these days use the internet to connect health professions to patients. Getting started with telemedicine usually involves three basic steps:
- Signing up for the telemedicine service. You may be asked to provide basic information about yourself, such as your name, age, gender, and contact information.
- Booking an appointment. This usually involves choosing a date and time slot for your video chat appointment.
- Virtual meeting with a doctor. The telemedicine provider should inform you about the basic applications you will need for your virtual meeting.
With the internet, doctors aren’t limited to talking to their patients, but they can also see them. Telehealth services can be more affordable than regular medical services.
In fact, you don’t need medical insurance to use telemedicine. Learn more about telemedicine and insurance here.
Where Can You Get Telemedicine Services?
It’s essential to choose a telemedicine provider that can offer quality service and convenience at the same time—StreamMD offers both. With StreamMD, you can look forward to:
- Meeting with experienced doctors. You don’t have to sacrifice the quality of your health care just because you’re meeting your doctor over the internet.
- Fast processing and analysis. StreamMD offers real-time pre-screening during a live chat session. You also have access to testing kits.
- Secure service. StreamMD keeps your medical records and conversations safe, private, and secure. They use a Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA)-compliant platform.
- Online booking and payment. The entire process can be done online on any internet-ready device (ex: smartphone, tablet, desktop computer, or laptop).
Apart from these, StreamMD is also available for everyone. You can connect from wherever you are. Learn more about the best way to choose a telemedicine provider here.
With telemedicine services, you don’t have to wait to get medical attention anymore. You can talk to a health profession from the comfort and convenience of your own home. To learn more about StreamMD and the services they offer, visit their website.
Do you have any questions about telehealth services? Let us know in the comments section below.